Finding those black spots of mold in your shower or basement can be alarming. Luckily, a small amount generally won’t make you sick but knowing how to get rid of mold and prevent it can keep it from becoming a bigger issue.
You’ll want to tackle the mold while it’s a small area because if left untouched it can spread to a larger area. “It can ruin household valuables and even trigger an allergic reaction,” says Carolyn Forte, director of the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab.
Keeping the rooms in your house, like the bathroom, dry and cool can help prevent mold from growing, but despite your best efforts, mold can still grow in unwanted places. If you find yourself with a mold situation, here’s everything you need to know.
First, can I remove mold myself?
You can, but mold spores can travel in the air when cleaning, so you’ll want to limit your exposure by wearing protective gear. Wear long rubber gloves to protect your hands and forearms. It’s also best to wear eye protection, like goggles, to prevent bleach or other cleaners from splashing in your eyes, especially when removing mold from ceilings or overhead areas.